To start forming the task hierarchy for launching, you have to activate the configuration window.
You can do that by double-clicking with the right or left mouse button (see Options) on the
icon of PS Hot Launch in the system tray .
There are two ways to configure the program:
1) Just drag the elements that you want from the Start menu, from the Quick/True Launch bar, from the Desktop, etc.
(from anything that supports drag&drop) to the configuration window.
2) Use the internal tools of PS Hot Launch, that is the respective buttons and menu items.
The first way is clear, so we will consider the second more closely.
So, you can add elements of four kinds, namely: groups, separators, links to folders and
links to files (executable ones, documents, shortcuts, etc). Use the drop-down-menu button at the left-hand
part in the toolbar (see Fig. 2):
Now in detail:
- to add a link to a file, click the "Add File" button
, find the file that you need in the pop-up window press the "Open" button,
- to add a link to a folder, click the arrow of the "Add File" button
, choose the "Add Folder" item from the drop-down menu and find the folder that you need in the window that will appear and
press the "OK" button,
- to add a random link, click the arrow of the "Add File" button
, choose the "Add Silently" item from the drop-down menu. No window will pop up, and you can fill in the "Display Name"
and "File Name" fields manually,
- to add a group, click the arrow of the "Add File" button
, choose the "Add Group" item from the drop-down menu,
- to add a separator, click the arrow of the "Add File" button
, choose the "Add Separator" item from the drop-down menu,
After you add the right element you can configure it more specifically (see Fig. 3.1 and 3.2), that is
- specify the name of the element in the "Display Name" field,
- assign a hot key to the element. If the assigning has been successful, you will see your key combination on the right
of the element highlighted green in the tree, otherwise (conflict) highlighted red,
- edit the path to the file or folder in the "File Name" field or using the "Select File" button
"Select Folder" button .
- define how a group will react to the hot key (Fig. 3.2). If you check "Show Menu", a menu with the list
of the elements in the group will be shown, and if you check "Execute", all the elements in the group including
subgroups will be launched.
You can also create links to web pages and e-mail addresses. For instance, to make a
link to the web page of www.pssoftlab.com, you have to type the following in the "File name" field:
"http://www.pssoftlab.com"; and if you want to make a link to the e-mail address of email@example.com,
type "mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" in the "File name" field.
After you add all the elements that you want, you can arrange them by simply dragging to any position or group.
If you want to move an element in front of a group rather than to the group, hold
down the <Shift> key.
Now that all the elements have been added and arranged, you can minimize the Configuration window and get down to
the program. Right or left clicking (see Options) on the program icon in the system tray will
call the menu. You can use the menu to launch your elements.
You can change other options if you click the "Options" button (see Options).
The program has a "semidocumented" way of executing certain commands ("Shutdown",
"Reboot", "Run screensaver", controlling Winamp, etc.). To configure it, do the following:
1) create a command group;
2) create a few links to any folders or files within the group;
3) select any of the links in the tree;
3) holding down the <Shift> key, left-click in the "File name" field;
4) choose the right command in the pop-up menu (the text from the menu item will get to the
"File name" field)
5) the command has been added, move on to adding another.